Councils are required by the Act to keep a register of dogs in the local area. To ensure the register is kept up to date dog registrations are renewed every 12 months during July and August.
All dogs aged 3 months or over, living on the property longer than 14 days must be registered with Council. Persons registering a dog must be 16 years of age or older.
To register a dog you will need to:
- Make an application to Council
- Pay a registration fee (pensioner concessions and other rebates are available)
Once the dog has been registered you will be issued with:
- A certificate of registration
- A registration disc (this must be worn by the dog at all times)
Failure to register a dog is an offence under the Act and the owner or person responsible for the dog may be fined.
Following the registration of a dog you are required to notify Council as soon as possible if the following events occur:
- The dog is moved to another premises
- The dog dies or is missing for more than 72 hours
- Ownership of the dog is transferred to another person
Dog registration fees can be viewed via the following link Fees and charges