Pricing Schedule and Statement for Service Rates
Council provides services for the benefit of specific properties for which a service rate and/or annual charge are levied. Where a service that is subject to a service charge is available to non-rateable land, a service charge is levied against that land.
Service rates and/or charges may be raised to cover the cost of establishing, operating, maintaining, improving and replacing such services. Funds raised must not be utilised for any other purpose and any surplus service rates or charges must be set aside for future replacement of the assets employed in providing the service.
Council has declared the following service rates and/or charges for the year 2020/21, applicable to properties only which directly benefit from such services.
|Charge 2019/20||Increased from 2019/20||Charge 2020/21|
|CWMS - Connected Allotments||$505.00||0%||$505.00|
|CWMS - Unconnected Allotments||$337.00||0%||$337.00|
|C.A.T.V Services - Cleve||$115.00||0%||$115.00|
|C.A.T.V Services - Elson Subdivision||$115.00||0%||$115.00|
|Kerbside Bin Collection||$240.00||0%||$240.00|
Audits and state wide investigations have revealed that the service rates charged for many Community Wastewater Management Systems including Cleve District are relatively low and insufficient to sustain those schemes. Accordingly, these service charges will increase at 4% over several years until adequate to fully fund and sustain the services provided.
Council has decided to raise the above revenue due to:
- the number and the group of rateable and non-rateable properties receiving the service;
- a service charge can be levied against non-rateable land, but a service rate can not;
- the equity, benefit and ability-to-pay principles of taxation;
- the concept of user pays and any mitigating factors;
- the nature of the service;
- the cost to operate and maintain the service;
- the capital costs to establish the service;
- the costs to improve or replace the service;
- level of usage of the service; and
- recognition that the value of a property is likely to be enhanced by the availability of the service, whether or not the service is actually being used.
Extract from District Council of Cleve Annual Business Plan and Annual Budget