What needs approval?

The Development Act advises that no development can be undertaken unless it has the approval of the relevant planning authority, which in most cases is Council. This means that any construction, alteration, addition or demolition of a building or structure, a change in the current use of the land, or anything which modifies a designated heritage item constitutes development and therefore requires formal Development Approval.

Certain minor activities or building work are excluded by Regulation from this definition and are thereby exempt from the need to seek approval. In these instances you should always contact the Council to clarify the position.

A Development Application Form must be completed with all relevant detail and signed by the applicant or owner. Hardcopies can be collected at the Council office or can be downloaded from our website.

At least two copies of plans/specifications must be forwarded with the application and fees must be paid upon lodgment at the Council Office.


What is needed to obtain approval from Council? You can find all the information in the Shed Information Sheet.

Construction Industry Training Board Levy

The Construction Industry Training Board Levy also needs to be paid on any construction with an estimated cost of $40,000 or more. This can be completed online on the Construction Industry Training Board Levy.

Fees and Charges

Fees and charges are payable upon lodgement of the Development Application.

Septic Tank Applications

The safe disposal of sewage and household wastewater is necessary to safeguard the health of the community and to protect the environment. Not all sites have characteristics suitable for conventional subsurface effluent disposal; therefore, it is very important to carry out the necessary investigations to determine the suitability of the site and design the system accordingly.

NOTE: It is important that the requirements of the septic tank system be considered during the planning stage of any development. Approval must be obtained from the relevant authority before proceeding with the installation of a septic tank system.

Applications for approval to install a septic tank system must be made on the required application form and provide the necessary information. Engaging the services of a registered plumber to assist in designing a suitable system and lodging an application is encouraged.

Council’s Development Plan

Cleve's Development Plan can be downloaded or you can visit the SA government website.

Swimming Pool Safety

Is your swimming pool kid safe? What do you need to know about swimming pool fencing? For all swimming pool information read the Is Your Swimming Pool Kid Safe? brochure. More information can also be found here.

Fences and the Law

Do you have a question about a boundary fence or shared fence? The Fences and the Law Handbook published by the Legal Services Commission of South Australia is your go to guide. You can visit the Legal Commision's website for further information.


Information relating to asbestos can be found here.